Tournament fishing is an exciting activity that many fishermen participate in. Fishing in bulk to see who catches the most is a thrill that can’t be put to words. However, traditional methods of culling fish (which is an important part of tournament fishing) for identification were cruel. Cull tags were used, which basically pierced the fish and caused them a lot of pain. New rules have thankfully been enforced and fishermen now have to look at other means of culling fish.
What Are Non-Puncture Cull Tags?
Let’s discuss cull tags first. These are colorful tags that help weed out small fish in the livewell. The goal of standard tournaments is to catch five fish. But, if you are able to catch more, you weed out the smallest in your livewell.
What a cull tag does is help the angler identify which color tag represents the smallest fish. It also makes it easy to remove from the livewell. That’s quite important too, since it is a time sensitive tournament.
Back in the day, these cull tags poked through the jaw of fish and created a large hole. It is startling that it took until 2017 for people to come up with an alternative that did not involve such cruelty. But hey, better late than never!
Best Non-Puncture Cull Tags – Editor’s Choice
When the new rules came out, fishermen were panicked. They weren’t sure whether they had to purchase new cull tag kits or replace their old ones. Thankfully, numerous choices have exploded the market and you can choose from them without problems at all. Our experts have shortlisted the best ones for you.
1. Ardent Smart Clips For Culling Systems – Non-Piercing
This is a set of 6 clips for culling and they have a strict, no piercing design. They are all black in color and come with the following features:
- The clips snap to the jaw and do not cause harm. Fish are also less stressed out with these clips.
- If you already have piercing clips, you can swap them out for these and save money.
- They are very easy to attach and remove. In fact, you can do it with one hand.
- The clips have been designed to be compatible with just about any culling system.
- With these clips you ensure that the released fish are safe and healthy with no chance of infections.
- They are made of nylon material and have a stainless steel spring.
2. Accu Cull ACUELITEEC7 Elite E-Con Culling Tag Kit
These are 7 locking cull tags to attach to the lower jaw without causing stress or pain. They also ensure that there’s no pressure at the lock. More details are as follows:
- They are colorful and come with numbers for easy identification.
- The cull tags are made of plastic that does not bend easily or change shape.
- They are easy to put on and remove in order to retag the next fish.
- The culling tag kit is made in the USA.
- They are 100% non-puncture tags and do not cause any harm to the fish. In fact, the manufacturers say that they are so good that the fish may not even notice them.
3. Cal Coast Fishing Clip-N-Cull Tournament Culling System
This is a complete culling system that includes everything you need for tagging your fish during tournament fishing. Here are its features:
- The cull tags are color-coded and numbered.
- This is a set of 7 cull tags and the required items for culling.
- They are completely puncture-free tagging clips.
- The numbers on each clip are made of foam. This is done to enable floating so that the number is always visible.
- It comes with a retaining bracket to help you hang the clips.
- They can be clipped with just one hand.
4. Accu Cull ACUECT E-CON Culling Tag Kit
These are made in China and are among the most reliable culling tags on our list. Here’s why you should consider buying them:
- This culling tag kit provides a completely environment-friendly approach to tagging.
- It is 100% non-invasive and non-puncturing.
- It latches onto the lower jaw and can stay there for hours without harming the fish.
- The system is made in the USA.
- The culling tags do not tangle and that makes usage quite easy.
5. TH Marine G-Force Conservation Culling System Gen-2
Say hello to this brand new G-Force Conservation System that prevents any kind of piercing and is gentle on the fish. Its features are as follows:
- It has an aluminum balance beam.
- The kit comes with 6 buoys, each of which is numbered.
- With this kit you will be able to cull your fish fast so that you focus more on fishing.
- They have strong clips made of plastic for tight attachment around the lip.
- The kit also includes a buoy holder for easy storage.
Tournament fishing is a lot of fun but it shouldn’t come at the expense of a fish’s life. Non-puncture culling tags help you enjoy in an ethical manner and without harming the fish. Choose culling systems that are proven to be safe with good grip is the way to go. All our recommended products promise just that. Go ahead and make your purchase.