A paddleboat defines itself. It is a simple boat that operates through paddling. This means that you should manually work your way into the water body with a paddleboat. These are used for fishing, of course, and are reliable because they are quiet. You can sneak up and lure the fish towards you without causing panic.
Trolling Motor For A Paddle Boat
The reason why many fishermen do not go with a motorized boat is that it makes a lot of noise. That negates the whole purpose of fishing. This is one of the few sports and activities that require silence and utmost patience. So, if you want to give yourself the edge without scaring the fish away, you should get yourself a trolling motor – a motor designed specifically for this purpose.
Can You Add A Trolling Motor To Your Paddle Boat?
The answer is a resounding YES! Paddle boats may be human-powered by design but you can modify them to install a trolling motor.
These motors make things easy because usage is simple and they are very quiet. Moreover, you will have much more agility to take advantage of while fishing. You can slowly and calmly reach the perfect spot without having to move too much or having the fish notice you. Isn’t that neat?
One of the biggest reasons why fishermen don’t switch to a motor is the price. They may feel like it is an expensive investment. But, it really isn’t. The market has some exceptional choices that fall under the affordable category. All you have to do is to pick those and zero in on the best. To make this process easy, we have done some work in the backend. And, here’s our shortlist!
1. Newport Vessels NV-Series Electric Trolling Motor
This is a 55lb electric trolling motor especially suited to saltwater applications. It comes with an LED battery indicator and many exciting features such as the following:
- It promises high efficiency and power thanks to its 12v engine and 55lb thrust.
- You can use the motor all day and you will not face any overheating issues.
- Of course, it is a super quiet motor that makes no noise no matter how long you run it.
- It has a 30-inch shaft, a 3-blade propeller, and a 6-inch telescoping tiller handle.
- The direction, height, and angle can be adjusted and then locked in the right place.
- You have multiple speed options to enjoy – 3 reverse speeds and 5 forward speeds.
- The entire motor has a powder coating that is corrosion-resistant.
2. MotorGuide Bow Foot-Control Trolling Motor For A Paddle Boat
MotorGuide gives you a wide range of picks right from 55lb to 70lb thrust. It also has a digital variation in the 55lb choice. Let’s go through some of the features that the 55lb motor has:
- This is a black trolling motor made completely of aluminum. It weighs around 51 pounds.
- It works on patented Variable Ratio Steering (VRS), which makes positioning the boat easy regardless of the weather conditions. This means that even if it is windy or the water is rough, you won’t have to worry about positioning yourself.
- The mount is made of aircraft-grade aluminum, which is extremely tough. It has stainless steel bushings.
- Its locking pin is precise and ensures that the motor is quiet while on the water. All the bushings are also positioned to facilitate this.
- This foot-control motor has been designed specifically for freshwater.
3. Minn Kota Edge Freshwater Cable-Steer Trolling Motor
The Minn Kota motor is another good choice with a 55lb thrust. It has a 45-inch shaft and is suited to freshwater applications. Below are a few more details:
- The motor comes with a latch and door bracket that provides excellent hold. It makes storage and usage very easy.
- Its foot pedal is very responsive and enables complete speed control. You can also switch it on/off based requirement.
- The motor gives you 5 different speed settings to choose from.
- It is made of composite material capable of withstanding high impact.
- Its voltage is 12v.
4. Minn Kota Endura C2 30 Transom Mounted Trolling Motor
If you are looking for a smaller shaft with some good features in the motor, this Minn Kota variation might steal your interest. Here’s why we say so:
- It has a 30-inch shaft with a 10-position bracket for safe lever locking and quick release.
- The motor has a telescoping tiller measuring 6 inches, which is intuitive and comfortable to operate.
- It has a total of 8 speed settings, making it very flexible. There are 5 options forwards and 3 reverse.
- The shaft is apparently indestructible because it is a composite shaft. The manufacturers also offer a lifetime warranty to back this claim.
- It comes with a washer, nut, and prop pin.
5. Watersnake T18 ASP – 18 Pound Thrust Saltwater Trolling Motor
The Watersnake trolling motor has a transom mount and weighs around 5 kg. It is an electric outbound motor with some exciting features:
- It has a simple design and is high on the functionality quotient.
- You can use the trolling motor on kayaks, inflatable boats, canoes, etc.
- It has a 24-inch shaft with adjustable mounting. You can install it as and how you wish to.
- The motor also comes with an anti-impact clip.
- It has a 2-blade propeller.
- The handle is retractable and the collar is height-adjustable.
Transforming your paddle boat will be a piece of cake once you purchase any of the above trolling motors. Just remember that they have specific differences and compatibility may be an issue if you pick at random. Depending on the water environment, shaft length, weight, and type of propeller, we advise you to pick one of the above. All the best!