In order to truly enjoy your escapade in the sea, you need a tank full of gas. If you have an outboard motor, you will be aware that the in-built tank is small and cannot be your long-distance companion. This is why experts suggest that you purchase a portable gas tank of desired capacity. From 3 gallons to 12 and above, you have quite a lot of options. The right one for you depends on your requirements, of course.
Best 6 Gallon Boat Gas Tank – Buying Guide
There are certain factors that you must keep in mind to end up buying the best gas tank for your outboard motor. Here are the most important ones:
- Capacity: As mentioned above, you will find variations when it comes to capacity right from 3 to 15 gallons. Assess your requirement as well as the weight that your boat can handle to conclude the right capacity. Large tanks are heavier and small boats may not be able to carry them. Our advice is to come to a middle ground at around 6 gallons.
- Size and shape: Even a small gas tank is heavy and big. It needs a proper storage area in your boat. Check where you’d like to stow the tank and buy one that meets these specifications. Manufacturers offer different shapes as well. So, choosing the right one will not be a problem.
- Portability: Choose a tank that has a handle so that you carry it easily. Otherwise it will end up being a hassle.
Our experts have put together a detailed list of the top options available on the market today. After careful scrutiny and research, they have decided that the following are great choices.
1. Moeller Portable Fuel Tank – Sight Gauge
Weighing around 3.5 kg, the Moeller Portable Fuel Tank has a sturdy plastic build. It is an amazing pick for the following reasons:
- The body is thick-walled and sturdy. The manufacturers claim that it is at least 30% stronger than the others in its league.
- The tank has been designed to connect directly to the engine and supply the fuel. You do not need to worry about installation.
- It is EPA compliant, which means that hydrocarbons do not escape into the environment.
- It has a sight gauge and fuel reserve.
- The tank is backed by a 2-year warranty.
2. Scepter Under Seat Portable Fuel Tank
Although we are talking about 6 gallon tanks only, we must tell you that the Scepter tanks are available in 3 gallons as well. Scepter is well-known for its quality and long-lasting products. This is one of them. Its features are as follows:
- The gas tank has a one-piece construction made out of polyethylene.
- It has a compact design to fit into small spaces. It has, in fact, specifically been designed to fit under the seat.
- This is a combination tank with a sight gauge.
- Its molded feet work well to provide excellent ventilation.
- You can be sure that this tank is durable because it has UV-stabilized HDPE.
- It has a 2-way vented cap for automatic movement of air above 5 PSI.
3. Attwood EPA Certified Portable Fuel Tanks
Attwood is another popular name in the world of fuel tanks for boats. It has many variations from 3 gallons to 12 gallons, with and without gauges. This one is a 6 gallon model with a gauge and the following specifications:
- The tank has a multi-layer construction and is automotive-grade.
- It has the capacity to withstand pressure build-up without causing any harm.
- The cap of the valve comes with an in-built vacuum valve, which eliminates the need for manual venting.
- It has a fuel gauge as well.
- The tank complies with all the EPA regulations as well as the CARB guidelines. It also meets NMMA and ABYC standards.
4. Portable Boat Fuel Tank 6 Gallon Marine Outboard Motor Fuel Tank
Here’s another excellent fuel tank for your outboard motor. It has all the features you are looking for. We have highlighted a few here:
- It is a durable tank, made out of UV stabilized plastic that’s strong and sturdy.
- The tank will last a very long time without chipping, cracking, or rusting.
- You can use it on any and all outboard engines.
- It comes with a filter that promises clean fuel at all times.
- The tank is anti-aging, anti-static, and anti-corrosion.
5. Hidea Boat Fuel Tank – 6 Gallon Boat Gas Tank
The last recommendation on our list is a very sturdy boat fuel tank that will put all your concerns at ease. How are we so confident? Check out its features!
- The tank is made of high-quality and high-density polyethylene. In other words, it is sturdy, impact-resistant, and anti-corrosion.
- It does not get deformed under pressure and it is also completely explosion-proof.
- The fuel tank is perfect for 2 and 4-stroke fuel engines (outboard).
- It has a 3D texture that makes it aesthetic and portable at the same time.
- The tank has a cap and intake valve. Together, they allow convenient usage. At no point do you have to worry about air and oil coming in contact with each other.
- It has a fuel gauge that will help you determine the status of the oil.
IMPORTANT: Why Is My Boat Gas Tank Swelling Up?
Before we conclude, we would like to address an important point. Most reviews that we went through complained of swollen gas tanks especially upon exposure to the sun. While this may seem concerning, please understand that this is a ramification of the EPA guidelines. Any tank that complies with these regulations will swell up and only release when the pressure reaches 5 PSI. it is completely normal and not dangerous.
A durable 6 gallon boat gas tank can take you places in the water without running out. Choose wisely from the recommendations we enlisted and you’ll be one happy sailor. All the best!