Even a novice knows that the fusion of fuel and water in an engine can spell disaster. This holds true for all modes of transportation – on land and in water. In this article, our focus is solely on water, specifically on the boat.
Best Fuel Water Separator For Boat
Every boat comes with a stock separator that will be your buddy for a very long time. However, after a point, you will have to replace it. You can either go with an OEM product or choose an aftermarket filter.
Best Fuel Water Separator For Boat – An Introduction
There are different types of separator filters suited for different engines. Since gasoline engines are very popular, let’s discuss them first.
You will find two main types of filters for gasoline engines – plastic and aluminum.
- Plastic bowl: The plastic collection bowl is clear and allows you to see how healthy your fuel is. You will also be able to note whether the water and debris are being separated. There’s a self-vented valve, which takes care of the draining.
The only thing you should note here is that the plastic bowl is not approved by the U.S. Coast Guard if you have enclosed engine compartments or a stern-drive. You should only install it where you can get a view of the bowl and where there’s enough space.
- Aluminum bowl: This one has the seal of approval from the U.S. Coast Guard. It has been designed to fit the recommended specifications for flame and heat resistance. It comes with a threaded plug instead of a draining valve.
On the flip side, you will not be able to see the condition of the fuel. Also, it needs quite a lot of space for installation.
Best Fuel Water Separator For Boat – Editor’s Choice
Now, we shall get straight to the interesting bit and talk about the best available separator filters on the market today. Our experts have curated them especially for you.
1. Teleflex 18-7944 Fuel Water Separator Filter
We love starting off with a bang! That’s why our first recommendation is an Amazon’s Choice product. Without any ado, let’s explore its features:
- This is a high performance fuel water separating filter that promises around 90% efficiency.
- It has 10 micron filters. They can trap extremely small particles and ensure that the fuel is clean.
- The filter is perfect for ethanol-blended fuel because this particular fuel absorbs more water and it has the capability to handle that as well.
- It has universal compatibility.
- It is suitable for outboard fuel injection systems, stern-drive, and sensitive inboard systems.
2. Racor Gasoline Spin-On Fuel Filter Water Separator
This performance part is a spin-on separator filter best suited for marine applications. It is rated very highly due to the following features:
- The separator is Racor certified and promises superior performance & quality.
- Its filtration strength meets the standards set by Racor. In other words, it outperforms low-cost filter brands quite significantly.
- It has a 10 micron capacity, which can give you up to 96% efficiency in separating water and particles from the fuel.
- When it comes to removing just water, its efficiency is as high as 99%.
- It has 11/16”-16 threads, which fit almost all requirements.
3. SeaSense Universal Water Separating Fuel Filter With Clear Bowl
If you want to be able to see the fuel as and when needed, this filter is ideal for you. The SeaSense separator has a clear bowl and the following specifications:
- The filter replaces Mercury, Racor, and Yamaha models. Make sure you check the model number before purchase.
- It comes with a mercury filter with 10 micron filtration.
- This is an aluminum filter with a clear bowl that has the capability to withstand harsh environmental conditions.
- Its bowl is reusable. You can check the water build-up and remove it as and when needed.
- It also has a quick release/drain valve.
- Its thread size is 11/16”-16.
- This mercury filter is compatible only with outboards and gasoline fuel.
4. SeaChoice 20931 Outboard Engine Fuel/Water Separating Filter Kit
The SeaChoice separator is a spin-on model, which is very easy to install. It is a plastic replacement part for marine fuel systems and its highlights are as follows:
- It has universal compatibility with models of Suzuki, Yamaha, SMI, Racor, Moeller, Aqua Power, 12 Sierra, etc.
- The bowl is see-through and reusable. It also comes with a drain.
- Its 10 micron filter catches most contaminants and keeps the fuel clean.
- This is a high-quality separator filter that protects the outboard.
- It is a plastic filter.
5. Racor Spin-On Fuel Filter/Water Separator Complete Kit
This is another spin-on separating filter and it is from Racor itself. With a height of 9.38 inches and 60 GPH, it stands tall as one of the leaders. Below are a few more details of the same:
- It uses the Aquabloc II filter media.
- It is perfect for ethanol-blended fuels.
- This is a complete assembly that includes all the parts needed for the separator including the aluminum head, filter cartridge, and plastic bowl.
- The filter media provides superior filtration and captures water with maximum efficiency.
- Its spin-on installation makes it easy to replace.
Every boat owner realizes the importance of a good fuel system and separating filter. Checking it regularly and replacing it on time will save a lot of hassle. Good filters can last for a couple of years and are much cheaper than having to replace the entire engine. All the recommendations on our list are straight from the experts who have tried and tested them. We hope you found what you were looking for.